Sunday, September 19, 2010

When Kids Can't Read: Chapter 7

This chapter discussed the importance of using a number of different comprehension strategies while the student is reading a text.  I found this very interesting because most teachers I've had have discussed a text by providing a brief introduction before reading, and then having a discussion after students have finished reading a text.  Most teachers ignore discussion of a text while students are reading.  I thought it was good that Dr. Beers stressed the importance of this strategy because it helps to create better readers and turn dependent readers into independent readers.  For example, I like the fact that she expanded on the importance of think-alouds and modeling.  I think that as teachers, it is important for us to be clear with our students about our expectations so that they can improve as the school year progresses.  I believe that Dr. Beers outlines a number of excellent strategies to use with students.  These strategies show different ways that teachers can help students improve their comprehension skills during reading.  I liked the fact that many of the strategies, such as the Say Something allowed students to discuss their thoughts with partners, since students can learn a lot from each other.  I also liked the fact that Dr. Beers was very clear on how to teach using these different strategies and the ways in which they can improve a student's reading.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the prior reading activities are important and more likely to get students interested. I had never experienced or even thought of the idea that students can read a few paragraphs of a story in class then have a brief conversation, then continue to read. All of these different approaches to getting students to read are making my try to come up with my own creative ideas as well!

    Ashley Shaheen

    ReplyDelete