Wednesday, September 15, 2010

When Kids Can't Read: Chapter 3

I thought this chapter was very interesting in providing me with a lot of useful information about identifying where a student has a problem.  Teachers often label students as being unable to read, but they don't specify which area the student is struggling with.  The book gave one example about a student who could easily decode the words and read aloud with lots of expression, but she couldn't comprehend what she was reading.  I thought this was interesting because we often think the students who have trouble reading are the ones who stumble over words and have trouble pronouncing simple things.  While these students do have trouble reading, we can't overlook the students who can decode words but can't comprehend them.  I thought the reading test we discussed in class last week was a great way for teachers to assess where exactly a student's problem is in a short amount of time.  Without identify the exact problem, it is difficult to find a solution.  I also like the fact that the author mentioned the fact that there are many students who are capable of reading but they don't because they find it boring.  I understand that this is a big problem with students and I plan to allow my students to have some choices in what they read so that they can choose something of interest to them. I will also be prepared to refer students to young adult literature that may be of interest to them so they can gain some interest in reading.

1 comment:

  1. You bring up a lot of good points. We have to identify the actual problems our students might be having. You also brought up the point of choice - choice is such an important part of engaging students in text.

    ReplyDelete