Wednesday, September 15, 2010

When Kids Can't Read: Chapter 6

This chapter was very interesting because it highlighted the importance of pre-reading.  I didn't realize that as an independent reader, I subconsciously thought about what would be included in the text and made my own predictions.  I didn't realize that dependent readers simply start reading without putting any thought into the topic they will shortly begin reading.  I thought the strategies provided in this chapter were great ways of engaging students' interest in a topic.  I particularly liked the anticipation guide because it brought up controversial questions that got students thinking.  I think this a great strategy to start good discussions about a text both before and after reading, and it allows students to create personal meaning from their reading. I also though the KWL chart and the tea party were good ways for helping students to make connections between what they know and what they learn.  I thought the probable passage  was a good way of getting students to discuss specific vocabulary words and make predictions with their peers rather than with their teacher.  This allowed them to engage in a discussion about the text on a more conversational level with their peers and use their imaginations, while also preparing them to read a text.  I thought all of these strategies were great ways to get students engaged in their reading before they even begin reading a text.  I also thought it did a great job of laying out a specific strategy and helping me learn how to use it in the most effective way.  

1 comment:

  1. I think most people who are expert (or "independent") readers do not always realize all the thinking and work they do while they are reading. That is why it is so important teachers make their reading processes explicit.

    ReplyDelete