Saturday, September 18, 2010

When Kids Can't Read: Chapter 5

I thought this chapter provided very specific information on on how to teach students how to make an inference. I liked this chapter because I think it gave very specific strategies on how to teach students this skill.  It also used the strategy of scaffolding by having teachers first model their exact thought processes as they read aloud a text, and then allowing the students to do this on their own, first as a class discussion, and then in individual papers.  I also like the authors idea of writing down the specific ways of making an inference and then referring to these specific strategies in order to get the students to think.  I think Beers does a very good job of outlining very specific areas where students have trouble, and then explaining what we, as teachers, can do to help them.  I liked her idea of starting class out with a short passage every day and then having students make inferences about the passage as a warm-up exercise at the beginning of class.  In this way, students can improve their inference making skills on a daily basis through practice.  I will definitely use these strategies in my classroom because I believe that they can be very helpful to students because they provide very clear explanations for students on how to improve their reading skills.  

No comments:

Post a Comment