Monday, March 7, 2011

Teaching Literature in Secondary Schools: Jago Chapter 3

     I'm finding this book really interesting so far and I think it'll give me a lot of ideas about the books I want my students to read and the way I want to structure my classroom.  I really agreed with Jago's criteria for choosing books. I think it's important for teachers to be aware of the reasons they are teaching a book and I like the criteria Jago has proposed.  I think all of these points will help teachers to choose whether or not the books they are teaching are appropriate for secondary students.  I also liked the fact that Jago stressed the importance of making connections to real life and how she analyzed the use of Frankenstein in the classroom and compared it to genetic experiments today.  I think all literature teachers should really stress to their students the connections the books make to the modern world and real-life problems.  After all, classics are a part of the literary canon because they contain timeless themes.  Students should be made aware of these timeless themes and the reasons why they are timeless.
     However, there were a few aspects of this chapter I disagreed with.  I understand Jago's rationale for having her sophomores read twenty books, but in my opinion, that's too many books for a high school language arts class.  I worry that by having students read so many books, they will grow to hate literature and reading because they are so overwhelmed by their assignments.  Also, I know from my experience as a student that trying to cram too many books into one class can be detrimental to student learning.  I recently took a class where the teacher assigned so much reading that it became so overwhelming that I had no time to really focus on any individual piece of literature and form my own opinion about it.  I think it's important that students have just the right amount of work that they're engaged and actively learning, but they aren't overwhelmed at the same time.  
     I also disagreed with the fact that Jago seems to think that young adult literature doesn't really have any place in the classroom.  I think young adult literature is very important for high school students to read because it piques students' interest in reading and provides them with important themes and life lessons.  Young adult literature provides students with characters and experiences that they can identify with.  It makes reading meaningful for students.
     In my classroom, I plan on teaching the classics in class and assigning young adult literature for choice projects and literature circles.  I think in this way, students will be exposed to both types of literature and benefit from the large variety of reading they are doing.  

6 comments:

  1. I agree with not reading too many books. I remember being in high school and not being able get through half of the things that my English teachers wanted us to get through. Not only because it takes awhile to read a book, but also because teaching the content takes time as well. I also wouldn't want to make my students despise literature. Not saying that I think they can't read 20 books in a year, but I think it would be best to switch things up. Let them read like 4 novels a bunch of short stories and a bunch of poetry. At least this way it breaks up all that reading. Personally, if English was the only class I Was taking I would be able to read 20 books in a year, but in high school you are taking a lot of classes that have a lot of homework. I think reading 20 books is unrealistic

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that 20 books is unrealistic. I don't think I could read that many books in a year. I also agree that breaking up the reading with short stories and poetry is a good idea. I don't want to overwhelm my students, I want them to be able to form their own opinions about the literature that we read. I think forcing students to read that much will just make them hate reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with your points about the whole 20 book thing. That is so much work for one class. If I were her student I would be asking, "Does she realize that we have other classes and a life?" I had a women's lit class last semester where there were less books than that and I felt completely overwhelmed still with all my other classes.

    I also don't like how she is against reading YA other than for pleasure reading. There are so many ways that YA novels can be paired with classics and discussed in class. I just think that her approach is kind of extreme.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with all of you, the number of books was ridiculous. I also agree that YA lit CAN be used in a classroom and be purposeful. I LOVE the idea of pairing classics with contemporary stories that the students will want to read, and be able to relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You mentioned the criteria she specified for choosing which books to teach. If we're not totally aware of why we are teaching a novel, then we won't create any sense of purpose for our students. If we're still wondering, "Why am I teaching this?" , then our students will be wondering the same thing. In terms of the criteria, I'm really grateful that it's so explicit. Often, I appreciate a clear-cut set of guidelines, and this checklist is pretty complete.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad you are thinking about books you would want to teach. I selected Jago's book because (1) she is very well known and established in the world of English Education and (2) her thinking is very different than the authors we read last semester. As a teacher you will have to provide a rationale for what you teach. You need to start thinking about why we have students read certain texts (beyond, it is on the district curriculum guide).

    ReplyDelete