Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Multi-Modal Literacies: Hate List

After struggling to get through my midterm assignments I was finally able to do some of my own pleasure reading.  I decided to read Hate List by Jennifer Brown which has been sitting on my bookshelf since winter break.  Overall, I really enjoyed the book and I plan on eventually including it in my own classroom library.  The book follows the story of the main character, Valerie, who is recovering from the shock of a recent school shooting at her high school.  However, this is more difficult for her than for many of the other students because the shooter was her boyfriend.  Despite the fact that Valerie had no idea that he was capable of such violence, she has to deal with the aftermath of the loss of her boyfriend and the judgment of her peers and community.  I think this book has a lot to say about human nature and how the way we treat other people strongly effects them, more than we often realize.  I think it's important for teenagers to read this book because I think it helps to create tolerance and understanding for people that are different.  I think reading this book could lead to really good discussions about how hurtful words can lead to more than just words, and how it's important to treat other people with respect, even if we don't always get along.  I want to give students the message that they don't have to like everyone, but they do have to respect everyone, because words can often hurt more than actions which is very important.

4 comments:

  1. I read this book last semester for the online literature circles. I couldn't put it down, I loved it so much. I also think it is important for students to read this book because sometimes students don't realise how hurtful the things they say are.

    I also think it is important for students to read this book to give them a perspective of school shootings. There was never a shool shooting at my school, I only ever heard about them on TV. I think this book would give students a chance to look at school shootings closer than they would otherwise be able to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very excited to read this book. Much like you I have had it on my bookshelf since before Christmas. I'm hoping to read it soon, but who knows. I'm glad you liked the book and loved that you have really good intentions of teaching the book as a way to teach respect. That's not something many students are taught it seems. I think books like this are great tools for teachers to help illustrate the correct way to treat someone and of handling a situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also got this book over winter break, and plan on reading it very soon. It sounds so interesting and I am glad you are enjoying it! I agree with Rosie on liking how you plan to teach it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished reading this book a month or so ago. It was amazing. It was hard for me to get through because it was a really heavy topic to talk about, but I really enjoyed it. I would use it in my classroom to talk about school shootings. I think it shows a very different perspective that most people overlook.

    ReplyDelete