Saturday, March 5, 2011

Multi-Modal Literacies: Video Games in the Classroom

     I had very mixed feelings about the content of this article and it really got me to think about the ways in which schools should be changing and adapting to the use of new technologies in the world at large.  I was very interested in the Quest to Learn concept, but the more I read about it, the more I didn't like.  I don't think it's a good idea to run school like a game, because not everything is a game.  I understand that video games do offer positive aspects to learning, but I don't necessarily agree with the approach used in Quest to Learn.  By running school like a game, students miss out on a lot of great learning opportunities.  While traditional classroom learning isn't always the most fun for students, I think they need to learn the discipline of sitting in a class they aren't particularly interested, but still find ways to pay attention.  I know this may sound harsh but the reality is that students aren't going to be interested in every subject all the time, but they need to realize that these subjects need to be learned.  I feel that by putting such a strong focus on technology, schools will stray away from literature and the arts, which are also very important.  I was also appalled by the comment I found on page seven of the story where the teacher of the digital classroom says "Why memorize the 50 states and their capitals? Why, in the age of Google and pocket computers, memorize anything? 'Handwriting?' Doyle said. 'That’s a 20th-century skill.'” In my opinion, there's so much wrong with this statement.  Students should learn the states and their capitals and memorize information because it's part of being an educated citizen.  People shouldn't be reliant on computers for everything and should have their own knowledge.  Furthermore, students should know how to write.  Writing is a basic skill that will never become outdated.  I was also shocked when the same teacher said that recording a podcast had the same value as writing an essay.  I strongly disagree with this comment.  While I believe there is value in recording a podcast, that does not take the place of an essay.  Strong verbal skills are completely different than strong written skills.  Knowing how to structure an essay and coherently present information in written format does not compare to a podcast.
     However, while I do believe that the traditional classroom has value, I also understand that technology is a huge part of the modern world and students need to have strong technological skills.  I believe that these skills should be taught in school, just not in the same way that Quest to Learn strives to teach.  I watched a youtube video about a school in Chicago that started an after school program teaching technological skills to their students.  The program later turned into a class.  While these students still were a part of a traditional school, they were also learning technology which I think is a great balance between the two methods of schooling.  I also liked the part of the article that discussed schools teaching the proper ways to engage in social networking including how to write a meaningful comment.  I think there's a lot of validity in that because those are skills that students should definitely know since social networking is such a large part of our world today.  Therefore, I believe that technology should be implemented into schools and taught to students, however I don't think it should be the main focus of the school.  I think Quest to Learn turns everything into a game and doesn't teach students all of the skills they will need to become educated adults.








  

No comments:

Post a Comment