Sunday, January 30, 2011

Multi-Modal Literacies: Little Brother Post 2

I'm so interested in this book! It has so many issues worthy of discussion I don't know where to begin.  One thing I've found particularly interesting is the censorship of the press and the references to the Declaration of Independence and the first amendment.  The situations in this book remind me of the state of America directly following the attacks of September 11, 2001.  Everyone was overly paranoid about terrorism which led to the passage of the Patriot Act which took away certain civil rights guaranteed by the Constitution.  The situations in the book are obviously on a much higher scale than they were after 911 but I think the message remains:  Citizens' civil liberties should not be taken away under any circumstances.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This too reminded me of the attacks on 9-11. The book seems a little far fetched. The bridge was blown up and now they are tracking every person. It's like cruel and unusual punishment what they are putting their citizens through. Although, you could say it's the same way here. People went irate over the pat downs at the airport and while I agree that does seem to invade your privacy, I have nothing to hide so I wouldn't object. I'm interested in seeing how far the government goes with finding out who is switching the technology around and I hope Marcus doesn't get caught!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that I am getting deeper into the text, I can see more issues worthy of discussion coming up. I think that comparing the 9/11 attacks with the bridge would be a great start. You could also incorporate reading material such as the 9/11 graphic novel that is available, and do a whole unit on terrorism. I find it interesting that the novel does not focus so much on the sadness and the fear of the attack(like we as a nation focused on through the 9/11 attacks).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's cool that we're talking about the First Amendment in Journalism and it's discussed in the book as well. I just like how everything ties itself together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I was reading, I not only thought about the 9/11 attacks, but also about the Vietnam War and how there were a TON of protests. They even brought it up in the book. I think it'd be pretty cool to teach this book along with social studies when they were talking about these wars.

    ReplyDelete