Sunday, January 23, 2011

Multi-Modal Literacies: Little Brother

So far, I've read about one-third of the book "Little Brother" by Cory Doctorow.  At this point in the novel, I have a lot of positive things to say.  I think this book is a great example of a  book that could be used in a high school classroom.  It addresses a lot of key issues such as the country's increasing reliance on technology and the idea that many fear that technology is becoming too powerful.  The book also touches on the idea of human rights and what people can do to stand up for their rights.  Furthermore, I also think the book touches on the idea of the importance of each individual.  I think this would be important for high school students to read because it provides students with an example of a teenager who can make a difference.  I think teenagers often think they aren't important and they can't make a difference in regards to world events, and I think this book shows that teenagers are very important.  This book was interesting because it's very different from a lot of books I've read.  At the beginning of the book, it seems like the events take place a long time in America's future.  However, after reading more of the book I'm beginning to think it takes place in present day America because of references to historical events in relation to the lives of the characters.  Overall, I think this book is very thought-provoking and can lead to interesting discussions with high school students.  It will be interesting to see how the book turns out as I continue reading.

5 comments:

  1. I think another reason that students will like this book is that they can relate to the feeling of always being watched and judged. As a teen privacy from adults can be very important. They would be able to relate to some degree to how the characters feel in a school and a country that is always monitoring what they are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are right when you say that the book touches on how we are relaint on technology and that it is becmong too powerful. But the book does not show had bad it is on Marcus' end for being so reliant on technology. He let's his computer obssesion rule his life, and in that way he is the one who is reliant on a machine. Marcus assoasiates his privacy and human rights with his computer, this is a problem in when a person becomes so dependent on a machine that they cannot live their everyday life without the machine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that's a really interesting point. I think teenagers have grown really dependent on technology. A large amount of social interaction occurs on the internet as well as their music and other interests and hobbies. I think Marcus is an example of a technology obsession gone overboard which can be very dangerous and is something we should watch out for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also think that it would be a really great book to use if you were doing a unit on privacy, justice, or government interaction. I think the discussion possibilities are great with this book because it really would cause the students to think at higher levels if they were asked to participate in a debate for either Marcus's side or the government's side and back up the arguments with facts and logical reasoning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You post reminded me of mine dealing with Little Brother as compared to Catcher in the Rye and 1984. You mentioned the futuristic aspect of the book, but then said you think it actually takes place during present day. I agree and I think this point is another one that makes Little Brother an ideal choice to teach as part of a unit with 1984. The futuristic feel of the novel could spark interesting conversation about what makes a novel distopian.

    ReplyDelete