Monday, April 11, 2011

Teaching Literature in Secondary Schools: Jago Chapter 6

I found this chapter interesting in a number of ways.  First, I liked the fact that Jago brought up the importance of collaboration between teachers.  I think teachers are often left to their own ideas and I think they could really learn from other people.  More people create more ideas and I think more collaboration between teachers should be done.  I also liked her lesson plan on the Odyssey.  I think she included a lot of great examples of different ways to make sense of the work.  I agree with the idea that students should write their own notes because it helps them learn better than when they're given a handout.  I also like that she has her students organize the characters and setting so that they can all be kept in order.  However, I did wonder about the pace of her classes.  I'm worried that her classes hold little room for struggling readers and that they wouldn't do well in her class because it's so fast paced.  I think it would be better to slow down the reading a little bit so that students of all ability levels will be able to actively participate.

2 comments:

  1. I can see what you are saying when you wrote "I'm worried that her classes hold little room for struggling readers and that they wouldn't do well in her class because it's so fast paced." I, too, think that she might be going very fast and that some students might get behind. I think that from the quizzes it looks like they are reading a lot in a short period of time and that is more typical of a college class. While I think that we should continue to push our students to read so they are prepared for college, I think this might be a little too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like the idea of teacher collaboration, and I hope that wherever I am hired I am able to work closely with the other teachers!

    ReplyDelete