Wednesday, November 10, 2010

When Kids Can't Read: Chapter 13

I thought this chapter was especially interesting because it focused on an area that teachers usually feel that they don't have a lot of control in.  Students' confidence is a huge issue in schools, and it's important for teachers to do everything they can to help students feel comfortable in their classrooms.  I liked the fact that Beers wrote a whole chapter on this issue that is often ignored.  I liked the fact that she brought up simple things such as making sure students know everybody else's name.  I don't think teachers should assume that all the students know each others names, because I was often in situations in high school where I didn't know the names of my classmates and the teacher assumed I did, and then I was embarrassed because I didn't know them.  I also liked the idea of using the bell in the classroom in the way that the teacher in the example did.  I thought that this really brought attention to the fact that words can hurt, and hurtful words shouldn't be tolerated in the classroom.  I thought the teacher who used this strategy did a good job in making this point to her students without actually saying it.  She allowed them to learn this on their own.  I also liked the point about having high expectations for students.  I think this is important because students realize when teachers don't have faith in their abilities.  I think teacher should have more confidence in their students and provide more scaffolding and help to allow them to reach their full potential.

1 comment:

  1. I loved that Beers included this chapter. I believe sometimes, we forget to think about the emotional/social aspect of lerning and solely focus on the cognitive portion. I also liked the idea of the "ding-a-ling" strategy to reduce hurtful words in the classroom. My concern is that the bell would be a distraction though.

    ReplyDelete